A few people have asked me to create some kind of paleo lasagna. I promise I will attempt to create something like it soon!!!! Growing up, cabbage rolls have always been a comfort food at my house. We used to eat them with mashed potatoes and they used to be filled with rice. To replace the rice I used cauliflower, finely chopped (or put through a ,food processor) These, I can vouch, were much better. My daughter devoured hers and asked for seconds.
To separate the cabbage leaves, which can be the most difficult task of this recipe, can be simplified by cutting the stem off and steaming the whole head for 15 mins. The leaves will easily peal off.
Ingredients (makes 10 cabbage rolls)
- 2lbs of ground meat (some use pork or beef… I used bison)
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1/2 of a head of cauliflower (chop or food processor)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 med. onion (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can crushed tomato
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- Mix all 3 ingredients
- In a frying pan, add garlic, onions and herbs, sauté on med for 2-3 mins, remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl add meat, almond flour, egg and garlic powder, mix thoroughly. Mix in onion mix and cauliflower.
- Separate all of the cabbage leaves
- Line a large casserole dish with the couple larger outer cabbage leaves that you set aside. This will insulate your cabbage rolls when cooking and prevent them from burning.
- Take 1 of the other cabbage leaves and lay it down flat.
- Add 1/2 -3/4 cup of the meat filling to the center of the cabbage leaf. Starting at the stem end, begin to roll while tucking in both sides. Place it in the casserole dish seam-side down.
- Repeat with the other cabbage leaves – you should end up with about 10-12 rolls
- Pour the tomato sauce over top of your cabbage rolls and bake in the oven for 1 hour.