Grocery List (Paleo style)
- Focus on the crops that are in season in order to get the best prices and nutrient content.
- Choose organic when/if possible and if your bank account allows.
- Stock up on what’s on sale – many vegetables can be frozen for later use!
- Purchase spinach, salad blends, pre-cut vegetables, etc. if convenience and minimal prep time are important.
- Fill your cart with color!
- Great choices include: spinach, greens, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, onions, garlic, fresh herbs, sweet potatoes (for post workout meals), mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, avocado… (Avoid the nightshades if you have autoimmune issues.)
Don’t go crazy here! Fit fruit into your diet primarily in the post workout period.
- Great choices include: Berries, watermelon, cantaloupe, mango, peaches, grapefruit, oranges, plums, apples, bananas
Go for grass-fed meat, wild caught fish, and free range poultry if it’s available and within your budget. If choosing farm raised meats opt for leaner cuts, if grass fed the fat is good!!
- Beef, bison, venison, wild game, pork – they’re all good! Sirloin, tenderloin, flank, and strip steaks are the leanest choices.
- Poultry – When choosing poultry the breast and thigh portions will yield the most meat and from a food to $$ ratio are the best bets! There are also many
- ‘natural’ sausage options available in large supermarkets – chicken apple sausage is wonderful!!
Fish & Seafood
- -Salmon, tuna and other fatty fish are the best choices due to their high Omega-3 fatty acid content. For variety cod, perch, tilapia, mahi, scallops, shrimp, etc. are good choices too.
- Don’t spend too much time here!! Look for the eggs. Omega-3 fortified eggs from free-range chickens are the optimal choice!
Many times this is where people get in trouble! So many pretty packages with pictures of cookies, crackers, snacks, etc. AVOID aisles of temptation!!
- Next stop – oils. Coconut oil and olive oil are must haves. Avocado and walnut oils are also very good on salads.
- Coconut milk (the kind in a can with no sugar added), in post workout smoothies, and as an alternative to creamer if you’re a coffee drinker. Get some!
- Nuts and nut butters are also good to have around for quick snacks and in a pinch. Walnuts and macadamia nuts are the best choices and walnut butter is EXCELLENT! When choosing nut butters make sure there are no added ingredients. Also, purchase unsalted nuts.